Date:      Sat, 3 Jan 2015 18:21:39 +0100
From:      Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@iet.unipi.it>
To:        Slawa Olhovchenkov <slw@zxy.spb.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: netmap pipes

On Sat, Jan 03, 2015 at 08:40:35PM +0400, Slawa Olhovchenkov wrote:
> Can anybody explain netmap pipes (more then netmap(4))?
> How use it?
> How it works?
> pipes works over existing network adapter in netmap mode?
> Or indepened (can I create netmap pipe named 'some_strange_name')?
> What purpose of master and slave?

think of pipes as regular netmap ports connected back to back,
(or as two ports on a VALE switch, if you like).
They are unrelated to network devices (though the name indicates
how they share memory, but forget that for the time being);
are created using the "strange names" like valeX:Y{0 and valeX:Y}0
(which I realize are not yet in the manpage, sorry);
and you have master and slave because need to name both endpoints.

cheers
luigi