Date:      Fri, 28 Apr 1995 11:37:01 -0400
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        steveb@strider.andyne.on.ca (Steven Bonisteel)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Routing weirdness?

<<On Thu, 27 Apr 1995 14:55:02 -0500, steveb@strider.andyne.on.ca (Steven Bonisteel) said:

> inside and outside of our local net) .... BUT ... at startup and frequently
> during normal operations, the system complains that arplookup is failing
> for the following IP:

>           198.96.21.224

> Now, I've entered "198.96.20.224" as my default router (and double-checked
> this a half-dozen times!) So I can't figure out where the "21" is coming
> from.

It would be really helpful to see what the reason provided is, but
I'll bet any money that it was ``host is not on local network''.
This means that some machine decided to send an ARP packet for that
host---which you received---even though you didn't (had no reason to)
ARP for that host.

What you need to do is compile a kernel with BPF in it and then run:

# tcpdump arp host 198.96.21.224

This will tell you who is ARPing and who is sending the replies.  (You
may want to add a `-e' flag to see whether the replies are incorrectly
being broadcast.)

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | Shashish is simple, it's discreet, it's brief. ...
wollman@lcs.mit.edu  | Shashish is the bonding of hearts in spite of distance.