Date:      Tue, 30 May 2006 10:22:38 +0100
From:      Bob Bishop <rb@gid.co.uk>
To:        Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [RFC] Removal of Fortran from the base system

Hi,

At 03:44 27/05/2006, Steve Kargl wrote:
>In a recent email to freebsd-current,
>http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2006-May/063435.html
>Alexander Kabaev stated that the import of GCC 4.1.1 is coming soon.
>
>I propose that Fortran support in the base system be removed
>when GCC 4.1.1 is imported. [etc]

No problem with removing it from base, but be under no illusion that
Fortran support can be deprecated. There's all sorts of scientific
software in wide use written in Fortran, that's not likely to change
in the foreseeable future.

We're using ifc because we get much better performance for our
application (dense gas dispersion modelling - run times can be tens of hours).

--
Bob Bishop		    +44 (0)118 940 1243
rb@gid.co.uk		fax +44 (0)118 940 1295