Date:      Wed, 16 Jan 2002 13:04:38 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely8.cicely.de>
Cc:        Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net>, Riccardo.Veraldi@fi.infn.it, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DEC3000/300

Bernd Walter wrote:
> > A real NULL-modem cable looks like:
> >
> >  TX -------- RX
> >  RX -------- TX
> > CTS -------- RTS
> > RTS -------- CTS
> > GND -------- GND (signal ground, not chassis ground)
> > DCD -------- DTR
> > DTR -------- DCD
> > GND -------- (chassis ground on one end to all other wires)
>
> I usually additionaly bridge DSR with DCD on both sides just in
> case I need to use it for designs requiring DSR.

I considered that, but these are DTE interfaces, not DCE, so it
makes no sense.

If I knew it was DTE<->DCE or DCE<->DTE, I would have tied DSR
on one side to DSR and DTR on the other for both sides, per

	Technical Aspects of Data Communications
	John McNamara
	Digital Press
	ASIN: 1555581110

(I don't know why I always think this was by McKneely; in any
case, for $5 used on Amazon, this is a cheap way to get some
neat information, including the Bell 103 and 202 standards,
which are expensive to get elsewhere).

As it is, you could end up with +11v <-> +11v, and with the
signal grounds tied and the chassis ground untied, you could
get a ground loop (best case) or cook a TTL chip (worst case,
assuming a multiport chip or multiple connections per pinout
internally).

-- Terry