Date:      Tue, 18 Feb 1997 17:31:39 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        jamie@inna.net (Jamie Bowden)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, toneil@visigenic.com, jfieber@indiana.edu, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sun Workshop compiler vs. GCC?

> You're wrong Terry.  The win31 -> win95 upgrade copies your autoexec and
> config files to .dos, and rems some of the old drivers (like msdex) out,
> but overall it will use the 16bit dos drivers happily.

Not according to King and Schulman... it is well known that you must
disable the PM disk drivers in order to use software that hooks the
16 bit disk interrupts.  For instance, LANtastic for Windows 3.x, a
product of my current employer.

Also, the autoexec.dos/config.dos are not used when the system is
started, but autoexec.bat and config.sys are.  I know because it's
where I load WinICE and the only IFS FSD (file system driver) for
fixed disks ever written outside of Microsoft... by me and two other
Artisoft engineers.

> You can set it up
> to boot to a dos prompt and exit back out to a dos promt if you want.

Yes, I know.  The Schulman book goes into great, gory detail.  I also
had to hack the io.sys and boot code to get DOS 7.0 to boot from a
UFS partition.  I'm rather intimately familiar with the boot code.

> It's still just dos/windoze.

It's mostly DOS/Windows.  A lot of it isn't, particularly the VM and
the scheduler code.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---