Date:      Mon, 18 Jan 1999 11:57:35 -0500 (EST)
From:      Patrick Gardella <patrick@cre8tivegroup.com>
To:        Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: WordPerfect 8 and printing on 2.2.8

On 18-Jan-99 Thomas David Rivers wrote:

>> This is a bizarre problem that has me baffled.  I've got the Linux Word
>> Perfect 8 on my FreeBSD-STABLE box.  It runs fine.
>>
>> But it won't print!  I get a spooler error when I try to print.  The spooler
>> command is showing up, and it's correct, but it just keeps giving me the
>> error: Spool Command.  The spool command it's using is "lpr -Plp <f>" where
>> f is the file name.
>
>  Although this is a guess, maybe WordPerfect wants the entire path to
> the command?
>
>  Try this:
>       /usr/bin/lpr -Plp <f>
>
>  If WordPerfect is doing an exec() to run the command, it will need the
> entire path.  If it's doing a system("lpr -Plp") - it likely wouldn't have.
>
>  I'm making this guess because WordPerfect can't start up my web browser...
> which I think is for the same reason... (it's pointing to a shell script
> instead of an exec'able file.)
>
>  Try that out before you do a clean install... I *seriously* doubt wiping
> the disk and doing a total re-install will actually help this problem.

I just tried that and it gives me the same response.  Error: Spool command

I still think its a permissions problem with lpr, /tmp, or /var/spool/lpd.  But
I've beat my fingers against this to be clear on it.  StarOffice used to print!
 And I thought that WP did as well.  It might be that it creates some directory
in /tmp, and when I rebooted last (latest system update), it wiped /tmp as I
ask it to.  So maybe I'll reinstall WP to try that theory.

But any suggestions that I'm not thinking of would be good as well!

Patrick

---
Patrick S. Gardella                    Director of Web Development
The Creative Group    1-800-804-0783 ext 29     606-858-8029 (fax)
http://www.cre8tivegroup.com                 PGP Key ID 0xEE2D47A9