Date:      Sat, 23 Feb 2002 22:15:18 -0600
From:      "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels@westbend.net>
To:        <FreeBSD-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: fxp0: device timeout error

From: "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels@westbend.net>
> From: "David Greenman" <dg@root.com>
> > >I am having problems with one of my servers, when I connect to retreive
> > >400MB iso image from the server, the server will start producing fxp0:
> > >device timeout errors after the download starts.
> > >Does any one know how to fix this problem?
> >
> >    If you have other servers with similar hardware that don't have the
> > problem, then my first guess would be that it might have something to do
> > with the physical connection. You might try changing out the cable and
> > may also wish to try plugging it into a different switch port.
> >

> The version I'm using is 4.5-STABLE cvsuped Feb 20th.

GA-586DX Dual  P200 SMP w/64MB RAM, Milleminum II Video Card, Intel
EtherExpress 10/100

> I'll have to check if the problem occurs on my other servers later today.

On systems with similar hardware no problems uploading/downloading the file.

I had tried swapping Ethernet cards (another fxp card) and the problem still
occurred.

Since I had another GA-586DX (Single P200, No cards or RAM) available, I
swapped the motherboard and moved the RAM, Video Card, and Ethernet Card to
this board and booted the server (w/same SMP Kernel).  I was able to ftp the
400MB file up to another server without any 'fxp: device timeout' errors.

Either I misconfigured the BIOS or there is a problem with the Dual P200
motherboard.

Scot