Date:      Fri, 14 Feb 1997 11:34:20 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@narnia.plutotech.com>
To:        Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
Cc:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>, phk@critter.dk.tfs.com (Poul-Henning Kamp), leisner@sdsp.mc.xerox.com, bsdcur@shadows.aeon.net, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: undocumented kernel options...

>[ sorry I missed Poul's original post... ]
>
>So, we over at NetBSD have resisted the "GUI kernel config frob" mostly
>because:
>
>	- bloat-ware (if you ship a GUI tool, you are basically required
>	  to ship X, etc... I'm not about to force X on my users... :-)
>	- maintenance nightmare
>
>In our world, config(8) is simply too flexible, and having to update
>the GUI to deal each time would .. suck.

I don't think that this has to be the case.  The last time I looked into
the config system, I thought, "Hmm.  What if all configurable driver
options could be dynamically registered/deregistered from the syctl tree?"
This would mean that Userconfig is simply a sysctl editor and only
requires knowledge of the sysctl interface and nothing more.  You can also
make the utility as fancy or plain as you wish and having X and non-X
utilities for doing this would be quite painless.  Of course, sysctl would
need to be extended a little bit to make this happen (mostly some
additional data types), but I think that since it leverages off of
existing technology and would group all configuration information in one
place, that it is a very clean solution.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations