Date:      Tue, 3 Jun 1997 19:41:59 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Guido van Rooij <guido@gvr.win.tue.nl>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        FreeBSD-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ethernet card incompatibilities?

David Greenman wrote:
> >I've got a network with bothe an old 8 bit smc 8003 card
> >on it and a Digital DC21041 on it.
>
>    If it's an 8003, then it's a Western Digital, not an SMC, right?
>
> >When I have data transfers going on from the DEC card to the SMC card,
> >I am seeing input errors on the SMC card. Is this a known incompatibility?
> >The erros are not all equal. I'm seeing :  81, 86, a1, 21 and 1
> >(see if_edreg.h at 'Receiver Status Register (RSR) definitions'
> >for an explanation of these errors).
>
>    Hmmm. This sounds like a cabling problem like a crushed ethernet coax
> cable or something - especially since you're seeing CRC and frame alignment
> errors.

I just checked again.

This is my setup

A <-coax-> hub ---- hub C and via coax C

B is the one with the digital card. C is a slow thing

Ftp-ing of /kernel to /dev/null
1 From A to B:	580KB/sec
2 From B to A:	40KB/sec (with input errors on A)
3 From B to C:	180KB/sec (with input errors on C)
4 From C to B:  370KB/sec
5 From A to C:	170KB/sec (with input errors on C)
6 From C to A:	370/sec (no input errors)

>From 1 we can derive that the coax between A and the hub is okay
>From 4 and 6 I can derive that the coax between the hub and C is correct.
Then from 5 I can derive that is either hub or the UTP in between.
Regarding the UTP cable: it is not in the direction of the hub for
host A to the hub for host B as then also 1 should give input
errors.  But also not in te otehr direction as I've would have seen
errors in 6.
I also think the hubs are okay for similar reasons...

Is there anyway I can *really* check teh cables? (I have a simple UTP test
thang and that tells me the cable is okay)...

-Guido