Date:      Wed, 4 Oct 2017 12:16:49 -0400
From:      "Michael W. Lucas" <mwlucas@michaelwlucas.com>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   portmaster, portupgrade, etc

Hi,

I'm doing tech edits on the new edition of "Absolute FreeBSD," and
stumbled into what's apparently a delicate topic.

Some of my reviewers are happy I included portmaster in the book.

Some reviewers beg me not to include it.

Unfortunately, people will be reading af3e and considering it
definitive for the next several years. So I have to get a feel for
where things are going. :-/

I've read a couple threads on portmaster's current problems/growing
pains and its looming difficulty with forthcoming flavors.

I've been a happy portmaster user for many years now. All things being
equal, if its future is still being debated I'm inclined to keep it in
the book.

Poudriere really needs its own small book. Yes, you can do simple
poudriere installs, but once you start covering it properly the docs
quickly expand. My notes alone are longer than my af3e chapter
limits. (I'll probably publish "FreeBSD Packaging Misery^WMastery" in
2018).

Truly, I'm not looking to start a flame war here. I only want a bit of
guidance on The Future...

==ml

--
Michael W. Lucas 	https://mwl.io/