Date:      Fri, 31 Mar 1995 23:07:36 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD-current users)
Subject:   Re: Floppy drive access overhead?

As Justin T. Gibbs wrote:

[formatting floppies]

> .  Under FreeBSD, I get "jerky" system
> behavior at best.  Does anyone know why we have this problem
> and how it can be fixed?

I can't confirm this.

Adaptecs however (at least the old ones) are known to be broken.  They
hog the bus for too long and cause the floppy driver to get DMA
overruns all the time when heavy SCSI activity is going on.  The
floppy driver silently retries the failed transmissions, but it costs
allot of time (and is absolutely not optimized -- it simply waits a
whole revolution instead of trying other sectors first).

--
cheers, J"org

joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/