Date:      Thu, 14 Nov 2002 10:25:18 -0400 (AST)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        John Hay <jhay@icomtek.csir.co.za>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: if_ef doesn't work with if_fxp?

On Wed, 13 Nov 2002, John Hay wrote:

> >   Been trying to get ncp* to work with FreeBSD 4.7-STABLE, and finally
> > found some docs that refer to the if_ef device for doing this ... but when
> > I try to do:
> >
> > ifconfig fxp0f2 ipx 0x####
> >
> > and it gives me back an 'interface does not exist' message ... I have ef
> > configured into the kernel, as well as fxp, so kernel modules aren't
> > involved here ...
> >

> I don't know if it will help, but I have never been able to get if_ef
> working when it is compiled into the kernel. I just kldload it. And
> I do use it with fxp devices.

Woo hoo ... okay, now we are slowly getting somewhere ...

I checked with our network/netware guy, and he's told me that we're
running "0     interface with an Ethernet_II frame", so I've got fxp0f0
configured with our network number, which he's given me as 0x83a2c800 ...
*but* ... and here is where I'm potentially getting things screwed up ...

Our network is a B-Class, with from x.x.128.x up being divided into
subnets of 8 C-classes each ... so subnet 128, 136, 144, etc ...

our netware server is on subnet 200, which is the 83a2c800 that he's given
me ... the computer I'm working on is a laptop, so will be on several
different subnets, but never on subnet 200 ... is 83a2c800 the netnum I
want to use, or is there something else I should be using?

With everything apparenty configured right, if I do:

ncplogin -T DOMAIN -U user -S server

it comes back with:

Warning: no cfg files found.
ncplogin: can't find server SERVER: syserr = Network is down

IP wise, I can ping the server no problem, so I'm missing one step here
for the IPX stuff ... ?

Thanks ...