Date:      Wed, 10 Dec 1997 19:12:42 -0500
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Robert Eckardt <roberte@MEP.Ruhr-Uni-Bochum.de>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fxtv-0.46 to raw device (cont'd)

Robert Eckardt:
 |Oops, sorry pilot error:
 |
 |> Another thing I noticed:
 |> dd bs=4k count=10000 if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rwd1s2  gives me
 |> 6307378 bytes/sec, running smoothly.
 |> Using fxtv on that device lets the disk heads scatter (swap ?)
 |> and Optimize only gives 256x192@24fps with no CPU- or disk-intensive
 |> processes running.

I didn't think of this when responding to this last message, but are you
sure you were writing to a character slice device and not just another file
in your file system?  The "can't write to this type of file" check is in
there for Optimize, just not for save, which should have prevented you from
doing this.  Though you might have commented it out.

 |This was with 2 of the 3 capture files still enabled in .Xdefaults.
 |With *only*  the raw device it captures smootly 384x288@25fps.

No kidding?  Really!?!?  What kind of skips are we talking about with the
raw device only?  With no skips:

         384*288*3*25 = 8.3 Meg/sec
         384*288*2*25 = 5.5 Meg/sec

Was this in 16bpp or 24bpp.  With 24bpp, you would've been skippin' pretty
good.  Try "fxtv -debug video", ignore the "Bufs..." lines, and take a look
at the others.  It prints one per saved frame:

         84: Delay =   74158 us (Avg =      65 ms, FPS = 15)
          ^              ^                   ^            ^
          1              2                   3            4

1 = saved frame number in the stream
2 = delay since last saved frame (this will clue you as to how many
    frames have been skipped
3 = average delay
4 = average FPS you're capturing.

 |This reminds me of another question:
 |Are there any programs that can work on RAW files ?
 |Or what is the RAW target for ?

Sorry, I should have put "#ifdef DEBUG" around that option.  It's more for
my testing than anything else.  It's not a standard format and for fxtv
internal use only.  Selecting it basically just short-circuits the
capture/conversion process and stops right after the capture without doing
anything else.

Randall