Date:      Mon, 05 Mar 2007 00:53:25 +0300
From:      dima <_pppp@mail.ru>
To:        O. Hartmann <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Cc:        freebsd-performance@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: (S)ATA performance in FBSD 6.2/7.0

> The last days I tried to figure out why some of my lab's FreeBSD boxes
> and also mine at home seem to be outperformed by some Linux setups
> around here and I saw something interesting.
>
> On my lab's FreeBSD 6.2/i386 box (ASUS P4P800, ICH5 with two SATA 150
> ports, two SATA 300 drives attached) I copied big files (~ 5GB) from one
> drive to another while the box didn't do anything else than copying. I
> watched the copy process via 'systat -vmstat 1' and realized, that the
> value of 'KB/t' never go byond 128 (128kb buffer limit?). But more
> frustrating, I never got beyond 33 MB/s transfer rate although
> bonni/bonni++ told me both drives are capable doing much more (~75 MB/s
> each).
> At home, I use a FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT box on an ASUS
> A8N32-SLI/nForce4-SLI based box, amd64 (no 32Bit compatibility). Two
> Hitachi T7K250 250 GB/SATA II drives build up a RAID 0 (nVidia
> MediaShield), and additionally there is a SAMSUNG Spinpoitn SP2004C
> attached to the controller. bonni results in 55 MB/s for the SP2004C
> alone and gives ~ 65 - 70 MB/s for the Hitachis, each and roughly 115
> MB/s for the RAID 0. But copying from the single drive to the RAID 0 or
> from the RAID 0 to the single drive also reaches this oscure 33 MB/s
> boundary!
>
> In the first place I thought the older i386 hardware has some
> hard-limits, but we have several boxes of the exact same hardware around
> here and a wide spread Linux and Windows utilization and on those boxes
>   equipted with more than one harddrive (PATA or SATA) the effective
> transfer rate shown up is about 50 - 65 MB/s as expected with copying a
> big 5G file from one drive to another.
>
> The hardwrae limit is completely nonsense when it comes to the AMD64 box
> with newer hardware.
>
> Before digging into this problem deeper with benchmarks, could anyone
> explain why FreeBSD reaches this 33 MB/s limit (sounds like UDMA 33
> defaults, but on both boxes nForce4 and ICH5 controller are recognized
> and show up with SATA300 or SATA150 capabilities, respective)? May I
> have some knobs I'm not aware of to tune disk performance?
>
> I would appreciate any coments on that and if someone has some good
> ideas how to benchmark those subjects, please let me know.

I think you're quite OK with dd. I do believe you'll get a comparable results for cp setting "noatime" option in mount(8)s. As you were told, the default mount mode is noasync which is "synchronous metadata + asynchronous data". But FreeBSD still updates metadata for atime on every file read.

2all: Are there any reasons not to make noasync the default mount option? It greatly improves FS performance and I don't think many modern administrators do care about access times of their files (assuming how many files a modern box has).

Regards, Dmitriy.