Date:      Mon, 15 Sep 2008 13:08:01 -0700
From:      Chris St Denis <chris@smartt.com>
To:        Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: x3550 ServeRAID-8k and FBSD 7, group limit

Ivan Voras wrote:
> Yury Michurin wrote:
>
>> We are currently considering to purchase IBM x3550 with ServeRAID-8k, in
>> order to run FreeBSD 7 with RAID5,
>> but it is very unclear from what I've saw on the Internet, whether the
>> driver support on FreeBSD is stable enough for production use,
>>

> I've never had problems with it, and I didn't heard of any serious
> problems others had.

aac driver doesn't seem to notice if a drive fails. You'll want to keep
an eye on with it arcconf run via crontab or something as a workaround.
I use

    /usr/local/sbin/arcconf GETCONFIG 1 LD | egrep '(name|Status)'

Seems to work fine with FreeBSD other than that. Only other issue I've
had with it, is it takes about 4 minutes to load it's bios in post.

>> and I've left with many questions unanswered, with which I hope you'll be
>> kind to help me =)
>>

>> 1. Is FreeBSD supports the device right after install or I need to recompile
>> the kernel?
>>

> It's available by default. This is the aac driver:
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?aac
>

>> 2. Is tools for manage the RAID available? If no, how you rebuild the array
>> on drive failure (and how to detect it)?
>>

> You can use the aaccli management tool :
> http://www.freshports.org/sysutils/aaccli/

aacli doesn't work with ServeRAID-8k. But sysutils/arcconf does. I think
it's read only tho.

--
Chris St Denis
Programmer