Date:      Wed, 28 Jan 1998 02:28:46 -0800
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: http://www.descent2.com/ddn/sources/descent1/index.html

> > The above is a pointer to Descent I 8)
>
> Oooh.  My favorite game, too.
>
> > It does *not* compile on FreeBSD and some of the modules use MASM.
>
> "some"?!  This will need someone with a *working* MASM-to-gas
> translator, or a penchant for x86 assembler and vector math.

The important thing to remember is that the source code is availabe for
anyone with the determination to work on it .

How many lines of assembler code?
find . -name \*.asm -exec wc {} \; | awk -f ~hasty/awk.scr -

How many lines of C code?
find . -name \*.c -exec wc {} \; | awk -f ~hasty/awk.scr -
178714

Not bad , usually after you go thru the first few large assembler routines
you can pick up the rest pretty easy.
The rest is a piece of cake given that we can use the linux svga lib
Currently, it compiles on FreeBSD under the linux emulation mode so it
is no great feat to compile it for FreeBSD . Or we can use the low level
kernel vga routines currently available for FreeBSD -- thats probably
the best way to go to support dos style graphics on FreeBSD.

The sound code we can probably borrow a lot from the doom sources if
not I can step in an provide the "low" level ioctl which most likely
will be using  the user land auto dma ioctl for the sound driver.

To put it another way , Descent I will make one hell of a splash screen 8)

	Amancio

	Cheers,
	Amancio