Date:      Fri,  5 Mar 2004 11:00:21 +0100 (CET)
From:      "Jorn Argelo" <jorn@wcborstel.nl>
To:        brandon@dvalentine.com
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Standard sbc and pcm support in GENERIC kernel?

On 3/4/2004, "Brandon D. Valentine" <brandon@dvalentine.com> wrote:

>On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 05:03:40PM +0100, Jorn Argelo wrote:
>>
>> I've been on the question list for some time, and I have noticed that
>> many people do not know how to get sound support up and running in
>> FreeBSD 5.X. I know that re-compiling the kernel is easy enough, but
>> there are still people not willing to do so, as I have noticed on the
>> list. Therefor I thought it might be an idea to put sound support in the
>> GENERIC kernel configuration, so that newbies will no longer find
>> themselves stuck with that.
>
>If they'd read pcm(4) they'd know how to get sound support up and
>running without recompiling their kernel.  Is there something wrong with
>requiring that a new user bother to read the documentation?

I guess that that is the main problem. Some newbies don't read any
documentation at all. They think that installing and configuring FreeBSD
is as easy as Bill's software is ...

Anyway, I was merely suggesting something, but if the list disagrees with
me, then it's alright with me. Thanks for all the responses though, it
gave me some insight.

Cheers,

Jorn.