Date:      Sun, 13 Jun 1999 13:28:45 -0400
From:      "Gary Palmer" <Gary.Palmer@RCN.COM>
To:        Niklas Saers <berenmls@saers.com>
Cc:        Khetan Gajjar <khetan@os.org.za>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sendmail

Niklas Saers wrote in message ID
<4.1.19990613111339.01fa8ad0@pop.saers.com>:
> Wouldn't it minimize the abuse if it checked upon request if the user
> existed, and if it existed, it would allow relaying? Perhaps even with the
> possibillity to stop certain standard users for relaying (i.e, root etc)

That just opens you up to unauthorized relaying, except that you make
the spammer make it look like it comes from your domain (on the from
line) which would just make people think that its authorized.

Also, places like ORBS check for that form of `relay protection' and
will list you if you allow it.

POP Before SMTP, Authenticated SMTP and limiting access to your own
netblocks are the only ``secure'' methods of denying
relaying. Unfortunately, authenticated SMTP (by far the best solution)
isn't all that widespread yet, and I don't know any freeware programs
that come with AuthSMTP built in. Sendmail doesn't have it yet,
although Eric says it will be in the next rev (I believe)

Gary Palmer
Senior System Administrator, E-Mail
RCN Corporation