Date:      Fri, 7 Jun 1996 22:07:40 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
To:        Michael Hancock <michaelh@cet.co.jp>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>, Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>, hackers@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org, FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: The -stable problem: my view

> > > Terry proposes a set of tools to help enforce the policy of always having
>                                     ^^^^^^
>
> I said help not guarantee.  The tools would help resolve reads while
> commits are being done.  Multiple reader/single writer locks are a cheap
> effective way to do this.

They wouldn't enforce or even help the policy.  Multiple reader/single
writer locks don't solve any significant problem we've faced.  Why do
something that limits the ability of developers to commit changes when
the problem the fix happens .001% of the time?

It's like making a loop that gets called once at initialization time 50%
faster while you leave the sorting algorithm which takes up 95% of CPU
time alone.  It's doesn't buy you anything but a warm fuzzy feeling.

Nate