Date:      Tue, 9 Feb 1999 16:43:19 +0200 (IST)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@cs.technion.ac.il>
To:        pechter@shell.monmouth.com
Cc:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Women in FreeBSD ( was Re: Is there a reseller program?)

On Tue, 9 Feb 1999, Bill Pechter wrote:

> > Wes Peters wrote:
> >
> > Yeah, I'm so manly I converted her.
> >
> > (From VMS to FreeBSD.  To the best of my knowlege, she was not and
> > is not a lesbian.)
>
> I've got one observation...
>

> Interesting how many Ex-VMS types move to FreeBSD instead of Linux.
> Anyone have any idea as to what that reason is...
>
> I've got mine -- the fact that VMS is an operating system rather than
> a kernel and a different distribution.

I don't think so. At least that's not my reason. I think it's a matter of
market segment it aims at: VMS aims at servers that need to run without a
crash for years, and that's what FreeBSD excels at as well.

> I've been very surprised how many current DEC-er-Compaq folks are
> running Linux now.  I suspect the Alpha support is the reason why.

Guess so. They even market OS-less AlphaServers now as "Linux-ready"
AlphaServers (see recent press releases/cutomer updates on
www.digital.com). Perhaps when the FreeBSD/axp ports is in good enough
shape they should be convinced to call these FreeBSD-ready???

> Bill
> (waiting for FreeVMS...)

Or to make the money to pay for the non free one :-)

> ---
> Bill Gates is a Persian cat and a monocle away from being a
> villain in a James Bond movie              -- Dennis Miller
> bpechter@shell.monmouth.com|pechter@pechter.nws.net|pechter@pechter.ddns.org

Nadav