Date:      Wed, 10 Jul 2002 15:14:59 +0700
From:      Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe@regency.nsu.ru>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Package system wishlist

On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 12:24:50AM -0700, Terry Lambert wrote:
> So, following Jordan's advice, what's on everyone's wishlist?
>
> Terry's Wishlist:
>
> o	I don't want to download unnecessary information over a slow
> 	link, because PacBell won't put a DSLM on the end of a fiber
> 	optic cable in my area in order to service the 3000 apartments
> 	full of Oracle and other big company engineers whose companies
> 	would automatically pay them a nice monthly fee.

Agreed.

> o	I want to know how long it's going to take to download all
> 	the package and package dependencies for what I've asked to
> 	be installed

This is kinda nice to have, but far not essential IMHO.

> o	I want to answer all the questions at once, in a marathon
> 	session, and then have everything "just work" afterwards
> 	(front loading user configuration)

True.  I'll also add:

o	I don't want to less through Makefile in order to find out what
	possible options (-DWITH[OUT]_SOMETHING) a port might accept.
	The idea of using /usr/bin/dialog, like used in net/samba and
	graphics/mplayer-skins ports, seems neat to me.

> o	I want to know that an individual part is good, if I can
> 	download parts of a package (I don't care if this means
> 	that the modern FTP/HTTP range approaches are used, or if
> 	things are stored in sperate files)

I'll probably won't care much.

> o	I'd like there to be one thing to download, so that when
> 	I get outside an area with cheap broadband communications,
> 	I can still get the work done

Sounds useful (at least for some of us).

> o	I want to have a distinction between "necessary" and
> 	"sufficient", so that if I have pbm 1.2.3 installed, I
> 	don't end up with pbm 1.6.9 installed, too, if 1.2.3
> 	would have been sufficient

Very, very true.  I was really annoyed when devel/gettext-old changed
their libintl suffix from .1 to 2.  After patching some Makefiles, I
gave up and ended up installing second one on top of another, followed
by `pkgdb -F'.  Gee!  That's definitely something that I do not want to
happen again.

> o	I'd like "one click install" of packages from a web site
> 	or a set of websites.  This implies:
>
> 	o	Cryptographic signatures
> 	o	A different file extension that's not already
> 		supported by a browser or Apache
> 	o	Modifications to the default FreeBSD Apache to
> 		set content transfer encoding for a binary file
> 		type
> 	o	Modifications of the default "MIME Types" file
> 		on FreeBSD to reference an installation tool for
> 		the selected extension name
> 	o	A tool to do the installing

Oh well, I don't care much.  Moreover, making new ports/package system
TOO smart might get really annoying (not to mention potential bugginess)
for end-users/admins.

> o	I want the option of having pretty progress bars that are
> 	actually meaningful (e.g. "Time remaining: 00:22:31")

That's like bells and whistles already. 8-)

> o	I want to have a command that can tell me everything that
> 	didn't come out of a package (this includes things that did
> 	come out of a package, but were replaced by some cracker or
> 	by mistake, etc.)

Sounds OK.

> o	I want "blind packages"; these are packages that are
> 	depended upon by another package and not explicitly installed
> 	by a user.  When all the packages that depend on it are
> 	removed (dependency count goes from 1->0), I want the system
> 	to not_remove/automatically_remove/offer_to_remove the blind
> 	package

Sounds nice.  "Offer-to-remove" seems to be the most reasonable.

> o	I want to be able to remove system components, like "sendmail"
> 	and "OpenSSH".

Actually, I like the idea of "base system", so it does not belong to any
port or package.  And I never had anything against having sendmail,
OpenSSH, or whatever in the base.  Well, maybe with one exception of yp*
tools. :-) :-)

> o	Eventually, I want to be able to not install system components
> 	in the first place (e.g. it should be possible to do a "PicoBSD"
> 	with the standard tools).

Well, maybe.

> o	I want to know how much disk space I have, vs. how much it's
> 	going to take to install something, so I can decide whether I
> 	really want it or not.

Seems not so useful, but it might be just me. ;-)

> o	I want the "installed components" list to be accurate after an
> 	initial system install ("/bin/ls" is a comonent).
>
> o	I want the "installed components" list to be accurate after a
> 	"make installworld".

While on these, I'd like to mention that it would be really nice if,
after installing the world, I could be sure that any file that was
removed from installation (that is, it would not appear in a clean
DESTDIR), could be removed from original (/) as well (since it's a
left-over from previous world).

> o	I want an "Add/Remove" software icon in the KDE control panel,
> 	just like Windows has.

I assume you are kidding us on this one, Terry, right??

./danfe