Date:      Tue, 16 Apr 2013 07:58:48 +0200
From:      keramida@ceid.upatras.gr (Giorgos Keramidas)
To:        Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@komquats.com>
Cc:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>, Scott Long <scott4long@yahoo.com>, "current@freebsd.org" <current@freebsd.org>, Chris Rees <crees@freebsd.org>, "Sam Fourman Jr." <sfourman@gmail.com>, Rui Paulo <rpaulo@felyko.com>, "net@freebsd.org" <net@freebsd.org>, darrenr@freebsd.org, "cpet@sdf.org" <cpet@sdf.org>
Subject:   Re: ipfilter(4) needs maintainer

On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 12:15:49 -0700, Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@komquats.com> wrote:
> It was pointed out to me that Darren Reed has changed licenses from
> his IP Filter license that's been in IPF since 2005 or so, when he
> joined Sun, to GPLv2 (probably when Darren left when Oracle took over
> Sun). Given that IPF already lives in src/contrib and src/sys/contrib
> due to the 2005 license change, would that be a problem? If it's OK
> then I'll maintain it in src.  If not then a port is in order. Having
> said that, a port would be messy as IPF's own install scripts update
> src/sys/netinet, among other locations.

That would be a big 'no', right there.  Ports should never update kernel
headers.  If not for any other reason, because "which kernel?".

I regularly keep 2-3 different source trees of the kernel around, and
build them from non-standard locations.  Having to remember to run
ipfilter_hack.sh on each of them before doing a successful build and
ending up with kernel sources which are always 'unclean svn checkouts'
would suck -- and I suspect I'm not the only one doing builds of kernels
outside of /usr/src.