Date:      Tue, 11 Dec 2001 11:16:05 +0200
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>, Hiten Pandya <hitmaster2k@yahoo.com>, current@FreeBSD.org, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [SUGGESTION] - JFS for FreeBSD

Terry Lambert wrote:

> Greg Lehey wrote:
> > Since then, it has become possible for the loader to load modules
> > before booting the kernel.  This means that, theoretically, it would
> > be possible to have a JFS root file system.  Given the strong
> > opposition to the GPL in some factions of the FreeBSD project, I don't
> > see this happening any time soon, especially since we still don't know
> > if it will buy us anything.
>
> ?
>
> OK, I load the kernel from the JFS.  I mount the root FS, which
> is a JFS.  I read the module "jfs.ko" from the JFS so that I can
> mount the root FS, which is a JFS, so I can read the module "jfs.ko"
> from the JFS so that I can mount the root FS, which is a JFS, so I
> can read the module "jfs.ko" from the JFS so that I can mount the
> root FS, which is a JFS, so I can...
>
> Do you see the problem yet?

Libstand (and hence the loader) could be extended to allow reading
files from jfs without using any GPL'ed code. For example our loader
can load modules from the FAT even though we do not have any M$ code.
:) Alternatively, /boot could be placed on separate filesystem, which
could be ufs or anything else supported by the loader.

-Maxim