Date:      Sat, 20 Oct 2001 10:20:34 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>
To:        jxr2000@tmlp.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Modem

On Fri, 19 Oct 2001 jxr2000@tmlp.com wrote:

> My question is. Could someone recommend me an internal fax modem that
> is sure to work with release 4.3. Please provide manufacture and model
> number.

*Generally*, any modem that comes with its own controller should work
well. There are modems who let the CPU of your computer do all the "dirty"
work. These modems only ship with drivers for the Windows operating
system, and are thus useless anywhere else.

How do you find out if a modem works under FreeBSD? Mostly, if the modem
supports standard AT-commands (which should be listed under "Features" on
the package or data sheet), the modem should work. If the modem
manufacturer says the modem is compatible with DOS, then that's also an
indicator that it will run under FreeBSD (since if it were a WinModem it
wouldn't run under DOS either).

Personally, I'm U.S. Robotics modems (external ones, however) and they
have always worked well. Have a look at http://www.usr.com/, I guess they
should also have some good internal modems.

Greetings
Nils

Nils Holland
Ti Systems - FreeBSD in Tiddische, Germany
http://www.tisys.org * nils@tisys.org