Date:      Thu, 31 Jan 2013 08:38:14 -0500
From:      George Rosamond <george@ceetonetechnology.com>
To:        Tim Kientzle <tim@kientzle.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Some ideas on Tim's script

On 01/31/13 00:14, Tim Kientzle wrote:
> On Jan 30, 2013, at 6:24 AM, George Rosamond wrote:
>>
>> But first, with 8G images, I had to adjust the config.sh's SD_SIZE
>> below 7900 for Kingston SD Cards to fit.  I can give more specifics
>> if desired.  Anyone else experience that?
>
> I have a bunch of different SD cards around here -- different sizes,
> different manufacturers -- and I think every one is 50MB-100MB
> smaller than the advertised size.

Yes.  My point was only to remove potential errors for newer users
running into this (easily resolvable) issue.

>> In terms of /etc/fstab, I think adding tmpfs to the kernel would be
>> useful.  Without it, using md(4) for /var/log, /tmp and /var/tmp is
>> certainly a nice way to minimize disk writes.
>
> How well does this work on a machine with only 256MB RAM?

Been using md for years with Soekris/Alix boards.  We're not talking
about huge partitions here, so it shouldn't be an issue.

I'm being more than generous here with space, but:

/tmp -s30m
/var/log -s15m
/var/tmp -s5m

I haven't done port building or any make on the BeagleBone, though.  But
it all seems fine with pfSense and their nanoBSD setup.

I have only played around with tmpfs, but I'd imagine that in CURRENT it
should be in good shape.

>> It might also make sense to add rc_debug="YES" and rc_info="YES" to
>> the default /etc/rc.conf.  Most users are testing right now, and
>> it's only logical for the pool of people hacking on them.
>
> I wasn't aware of those options; I'll add them.
>
> One of my wish-list items is to figure out how to buildkernel with a
> config file stored outside of /usr/src.  Then it would be possible to
> have a kernel config as part of the beaglebsd setup files, separate
> from the config in /usr/src that seems to be optimized for kernel
> debugging.

That would be nice.

>> And maybe to add the relevant ntpdate(8) settings to /etc/rc.conf.
>
> Has anyone tried running ntpdate from devd?  So that when/if the
> network interface initializes, ntpdate gets run at that point. That
> would avoid the tedious delay if there's no network at boot time.

not I.