Date:      Thu, 7 Jan 1999 21:28:38 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
Cc:        Ian Grigg <iang@systemics.com>, nate@mt.sri.com, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "Chan & Lee books"

> > > Umm, they are THE Java Reference books...
> >
> > The books that Nate recommends are in the javasoft series.
> > The ones I found at amazon are below.  Be (a)ware that they
> > are about $54 each, being hardback :-(
>
> My situation has changed, I suddenly may find some funds to buy Java
> books (for a course).  I squirreled away this post (for obvious reasons)
> and now I have to ask a question.
>
> Seeing as Java is mutating like a heavily nuked protozoa, and these
> books have dates of 1996-1997, are they really up to date anymore?

They are up-to-date on JDK1.1, but not JDK1.2.  However, they are still
*great* books, and cover almost all of the 'basic' library.

> If they describe things like an ancient event handling mechanism (that
> deprecated for new software) its not going to be of extreme help.

Nope, JDK1.1 is the new event model.

> If it completely skips swing, well, that's not a minor omission
> either.

No Swing either, but there are *NO* good books on Swing, given that the
final release was made about a month ago.

> Can
> someone who *has* these books give me some more reasons (that I can pass
> along to the person writing the check) for why these aren't obsolete
> (and if there's little chance to a new revision coming out 6 hours after
> the purchase is made)?

Because they are *THE* best reference for most of the core JDK stuff.
Stuff like Swing and the Collections API are not covered, but you won't
find any good books on either of these.

> Thanks.  Any rumors about new editions are welcome.

I just looked on Amazon.com,and 'The Java Class Libraries: 1.2
Supplement' is supposed to be released any day now.  I suspect with
these 3 books (which would unfortunately be a hefty chunk of change)
you'd have about everything you need.

I can not think of *ANY* better Java reference book, and I've looked at
dozens and dozens of them the last 3 years.

> > Patrick Chan, Rosanna Lee, Doug Kramer
> >
> > The Java(tm) Class Libraries, Second Edition, Volume 1:
> > java.io, java.lang, java.math, java.net, java.text, java.util Vol 1
> >
> > http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0201310023/o/qid=914418229/sr=2-1/002-9203115-8455054

> > Patrick Chan, Rosanna Lee
> > The Java Class Libraries : Java.Applet, Java.Awt, Java.Beans (Vol 2)
> >
> > http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0201310031/ref=sim_books/002-9203115-8455054

> > Patrick Chan, Rosanna Lee
> >
> > The Java Class Libraries : An Annotated Reference (Java Series)
> >
> > http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0201634589/ref=sim_books/002-9203115-8455054

Don't bother with this one, as it is superceded by Vol1 and Vol2 above.

Nate