Date:      Mon, 1 Mar 2021 20:24:12 -0800
From:      David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 13.0-RELEASE-BETA4

On 3/1/21 5:35 PM, Antonio Olivares wrote:
> On Monday, March 1, 2021, LuMiWa wrote:
>> On Mon, 1 Mar 2021 16:04:45 -0600
>> Antonio Olivares <olivares14031@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear kind FreeBSD users,
>>>
>>> how to we update from source to 13.0-RELEASE-BETA4?
>>>
>>> I tried with freebsd-fetch -r upgrade 13.0-RELEASE-BETA4
>>> but it fails to start.
>>> now I can login, but system is not working correctly.  I tried to
>>> rollback, and rerun command but it fails.

> https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-snapshots/2021-February/000826.html

> Thank you Sir, I have tried
> # freebsd-update -r upgrade 13.0-RELEASE-BETA4
>
> But it did not work.  I wanted to fix my broken installation from source.
> But there was a move to git? I have not done source updates since 8.2/9.0
> -RELEASE

I want a FreeBSD version that "just works", so I use 12.2-RELEASE.
Follow the links to download a suitable installer from here:

     https://www.freebsd.org/releases/12.2R/announce/

13.0-BETA4 is still under development.  If you want to help test it,
follow the link provided by LuMiWa and download a suitable installer
from here:

     https://download.freebsd.org/ftp/releases/ISO-IMAGES/13.0/

Burn your chosen installer to media:

     https://docs.freebsd.org/en/books/handbook/bsdinstall/#bsdinstall-
pre

Backup the system in question, remove the system drive, install a blank
system drive, and do a fresh install.

Select the components you want during installation, such as "src" and/or
"ports":

     https://docs.freebsd.org/en/books/handbook/bsdinstall/#using-bsdinstall

Once FreeBSD is installed, use freebsd-update(8) to keep FreeBSD up to date:

https://docs.freebsd.org/en/books/handbook/cutting-edge/#updating-upgrading-freebsdupdate

David