Date:      Sun, 28 Nov 1999 10:45:56 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Joao Carlos <jcarlos@bahianet.com.br>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: COMPAQ PROSIGNIA 200

Joao Carlos wrote:

>     Hi people,
>
>         I'm trying to install FreeBSD 3.3-R on a COMPAQ PROSIGNIA 200 with
> 64MB of RAM.
>         The system installs correctly, but it show me only 16Mb of real
> memory in the boot.
>         I have booted the machine with a Win9x diskete and it shows me the
> 64Mb.
>         I've booted the machine with an OpenBSD diskete, and it shows me
> only 16Mb
>         And finally i booted it using a SuSE Linux diskete and it showed me
> 64Mb.
>         Does anyone know what is this? And how can i solve this?

You have to build a kernel with MAXMEM properly specified. See the
LINT for the structure. Some (Most ?) Compaq's and now some Dell's
have a problem communicating the memory size to FreeBSD. You get
around this brain-dead area by specifying the real size of your
memory.

Kent

> Thanks!
>
> ---
> Joao Carlos
> jcarlos@bahianet.com.br

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

SETI(Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) @ HOME
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html