Date:      Mon, 30 Mar 1998 12:46:35 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: More on 2.2.6 upgrade

On Mon, 30 Mar 1998, Nate Williams wrote:

> > There should be a bit of explaination if it is a feature because
> > if I need to create sd1s1[a-h]:
> >
> > sh MAKEDEV sd1       doesn't work,
> > sh MAKEDEV sd1s1     doesn't work, but
> > sh MAKEDEV sd1s1a    does work.
> >
> > It is plausible that the first form not working is a feature, but
> > I'm not convinced that the second form not working is a feature.
>
> Why not.  On my box 'sd1s1' is *NOT* a FreeBSD partition.

I understand that partition entries may not be appropriate for
all slices, but I still think the human interface is wrong.

> > That the third form generates sd1s1[a-h] is counter-intuitive to
> > say the least.
>
> Ok, but that doesn't make the second form any more intuitive.

Sure it does.  There is a well established historical precedent
of supplying MAKEDEV with the name and unit of a disk-like
device, either physical or logical, to create partitions a-h
logically contained within that device.  Maybe I'm just whacked,
but a slice sure seems like a disk-like device to me.

MAKEDEV sd1 creates sd1[a-h].  A well established behavior.
MAKEDEV sd1s1 creates sd1s1, but no partitons.  Hmm...
MAKEDEV sd1s1a creates sd1s1[a-h], but...
MAKEDEV sd1a tells me I supplied a bad unit number!

Now, where is the consistency in that?

Incidentally, if it is an error to generate sd1s1[a-h] for
non-FreeBSD slices, is it not also an error to generate sd1[a-h]
entries for a "non-dedicated" disk?

-john