Date:      Sun, 27 Apr 1997 12:07:04 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        ksmm@cybercom.net (The Classiest Man Alive)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, joa@kuebart.stuttgart.netsurf.de, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VFAT 32 support in msdosfs

> >These machines are capable of reading long-name-in-volume-label FAT
> >drives ("VFAT").  But the partitions they use by default, and the
> >partition table format, and the MBR and the io.sys/io.dos/msdos.dos
> >where the INT 21 interface is instantiated *all* expect VFAT32.  I'm
> >not sure that an OEMSR2 INT 21 is capable of identifying and booting
> >from a "VFAT" drive at all.
>
> Windows 95 OEM SR2 certainly can boot from a VFAT drive.  That's my point.
> VFAT32 may be coming into widespread use, but I don't think it's time for us
> (or Microsoft) to start dropping support for VFAT.

I don't know how you got an OEMSR2 boot block and INT 21 code onto a
VFAT drive, but I'd be interested in finding out.

I suspect that if you are running OEMSR2 on VFAT that you have the
older bootblock code.

MSDN-2 developers (like me) got betas with the ability to "upgrade" an
existing VFAT drive to VFAT32.  Since there was no reverse process, I
wonder at how you can claim to be using the VFAT32 io.sys on a VFAT
drive.

In any case, normal end users who get new machines with OEMSR2
already installed (like all new Dell machines) get VFAT32 installed
by default.

FYI: You can't go down to a computer store and buy OEMSR2: it is only
available in the beta form set to developers and the final form sent
to PC manufacturers for inclusion on new systems.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---