Date:      Wed, 14 May 2008 10:39:36 +0200
From:      Ben Stuyts <ben@altus-escon.com>
To:        d@delphij.net
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Panic after hung rsync, probably zfs related

On 13 mei 2008, at 21:53, Xin LI wrote:

> | While doing an rsync from a zfs filesystem to an external usb hd
> (also
> | zfs), the rsync processes hung in zfs state. I could not kill these
> | processes, although the rest of the server seemingly continued to
> run
> | fine. The reboot command did not work. Next I tried a shutdown now
> | command. This caused a panic:
>
> Sound like you somehow run out of memory, there is an known issue with
> ZFS which causes livelock when there is memory pressure.  Which rsync
> version are you using?  With rsync 3.x the memory usage would drop
> drastically which would help to prevent this from happening.

I'm running rsync 3.0.0. Two weeks ago I already increased the memory
in this machine from 4 to 8 GB, but I did not change any loader.conf
variables.

BTW, The wired memory goes all over the place in this machine: even
when it's mostly idle it varies between 300 MB and 3.5 GB. That's why
I added 4 more GB.

Ben