Date:      Wed, 13 May 1998 19:34:57 -0500 (CDT)
From:      John Kenagy <jktheowl@bga.com>
To:        dan.morales@oag.state.tx.us
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Microsoft backs down Texas?

The court decision mentioned in today's Austin American-Statesman,
about Microsoft winning and the lack of resolve exhibited by those
charged to uphold law is very disappointing.

What your actions and those of the court means is that I will not
be able to purchase a name brand computer from any merchandiser without
also being forced to buy Microsoft products. I do not want anything
from Microsoft. It is not reliable, is overblown, and offers nothing
I do not already have.

Windows 98 as described in a brief article in the recent Newsweek,
"offers" the same functionality as I have had for nearly two years;
Without the lack of reliability which troubled Mr. Gates recently.

I run FreeBSD, a free "unix". ALL of the software I use is free, and
it works. I resent the idea that in order to get a new machine I have
to fill a trash dump with the cast off stuff that Microsoft forced
some PC builder to buy.

I will not make such a purchase. Dell, Compaq, et al will not get my
business. They whined to you and you disappoint me.

Free the PC maker from Microsoft so they can build the best system
they can and compete. Likewise, let Microsoft compete; without built
in sales.

John Kenagy
Austin, Texas