Date:      Fri, 24 Feb 1995 05:19:02 GMT
From:      blade.runner@horizon.org (Blade Runner)
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   IP Forwarding

>From : BLADE RUNNER
To   : ALL
Subj : gated
Numb : 90 of 90                              Date      : 02/23/95 10:17p
Read : NO                                    Reference : None
Conf : 1305 - comp.os.386bsd.questions       Private   : NO

I have FreeBSD 2.0 running on a machine with a SLIP connection to the
internet and an ethernet card connected to my Netware LAN.  Routing
seems to be working properly.  From the FreeBSD Machine I can ping the
Netware Machine (which is running TCPIP.NLM) and it sees the netware box
fine.  From The FreeBSD Machine, I can ping other hosts on the InterNet
Just Fine.  From the Netware Machine, I can Ping the FreeBSD Machine
just fine; however, The Netware Machine cannot seem to see anything past
the FreeBSD Machine (Not even the Machine the FreeBSD Machine is SLIPing
with).

There is a blurb in the FreeBSD.FAQ file refering to "gated" and freeBSD
not Forwarding IP.  It suggest recompiling the kernet with the gated
option in the kernel's option file.

My Question is do I need to do this to get the FreeBSD system to pass IP
through to the InterNet, and if so....Big Question HOW????

I do not know what a kernel configuration file is...Would not know where
to look for it or even how to begin to execute a recompiling command.

Can someone please help me????