Date:      Thu, 25 May 2000 17:47:50 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        "Nikolaus Spence" <nikolaus.spence@corp.freerealtime.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: wrong disk geometry reported

> I think I may have come across the first non-FreeBSD-compatible IDE disk
> drive.  The Maxtor 15GB 7200RPM udma/66 drive.
> p/n st0151500u

Nope.  It's compatible.

> I am installing it as a second drive and fdisk does not see (or want to
> beleive) the disk geometry.  The actual disk geometry is 29651/16/63 but

It's not; this is just one possible mapping between the drive's actual
capacity and the legacy c/h/s interface.

> fdisk sees it as a 2GB drive with 2019/16/63.  I set the disk geometry in
> fdisk and it still won't allow a partition bigger than 2GB.  The primary
> disk in the system is another Maxtor 15GB drive which works fine.  Not the
> same geometry but close.  It even comes up as 2019/16/63 in the dmesg. I
> know the disk isn't bad because DOS/NT/Win98/BIOS sees it's full capacity.
> When I just set the disk geometry, create no partitions, and save info, I
> can restart fdisk and get 14xxx/7/14 geometry. These numbers are just
> strange all together.  I figure that an IDE drive is an IDE drive and it's
> size may vary but they all work so far for me.

You need to be much, much more detailed in your report for anyone to be
able to help you here.  So far we have no idea which version of FreeBSD
you're running, nor which driver you're using, nor how the BIOS is set
up, etc. etc.

Note also that you might want to use sysinstall to set the drive up to
avoid further confusion.