Date:      Wed, 19 Mar 2014 13:59:33 -0500
From:      Mark Felder <feld@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Plex Media Server Port issues

On 2014-03-18 18:36, Kaya Saman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm experiencing 3 issues with the Plex Media Server....
>
> My configuration is running FreeBSD 10.0 x64 with the ports tree up to
> date.
>
> Issue 1: Upon first installing the port everything went fine however,
> PMS wouldn't start and kept complaining about a Python C Lang issue...
> Google'ing  I managed to find a FreeBSD Forum posting stating to
> insert this line:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> export LD_LIBMAP="/lib/libc.so.7
> /usr/local/share/plexmediaserver/libc.so.7"
>

> in the start.sh file located in: /usr/local/share/plexmediaserver
>

> In addition I had to comment out these two lines:
>
> #export LC_ALL="en_US.UTF-8"
> #export LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
>
> in the start.sh file.

On FreeBSD we do not use the start.sh file supplied by Plex. We only use
the /usr/local/etc/rc.d/plexmediaserver script. I did not strip it out
of the port/package install as I did not feel that was necessary, but I
will consider doing so to prevent this confusion in the future.

Everything should work just fine using the FreeBSD rc script. I've
tested on FreeBSD 9, 10, and CURRENT as well as in jails.

> Issue 2: As I'm running PMS in a Jail on a headless server, for some
> reason the rc script doesn't start properly?? This is quite weird...
>
> Using an SSH tunnel running: service plexmediaserver start or the
> /usr/local/etc/rc.d/plexmediaserver start method, not all services
> seem to come up properly.

What exactly do you mean "not all services seem to come up properly"?
You should see the following two processes at a minimum:

/usr/local/share/plexmediaserver/Plex Media Server
/usr/local/share/plexmediaserver/Plex DLNA Server

> Probably linked in with this is that not VNC'ing leaves me unable to
> login at the web interface. Putting my Plex ID/passwd combo in doesn't
> do a thing.

This is a permissions issue caused by not running Plex from the rc
script which automatically launches the process as the "plex" user.

> Issue 3: For some reason the DLNA server doesn't work properly....
>
> Though it does show up as online using ps:
>
> plex  89291  0.0  0.2 139844 17808  -  SJ   10:40PM 0:00.15
> /usr/local/share/plexmediaserver/Plex DLNA Server
>
> It doesn't seem to broadcast itself.

If you're running in a jail you're correct, this will not work. DLNA
uses multicast and multicast does not work in FreeBSD jails.

Let's start fresh here; remove the port, delete any contents in
/usr/local/plexdata, and reinstall the port.

Add plexmediaserver_enable="YES" to /etc/rc.conf and start the service.
It should start up flawlessly as I've handled all these quirks in the rc
script (except the multicast in a jail issue; I cannot fix that).