Date:      Tue, 14 May 2002 15:15:30 -0400
From:      Scott Lambert <lambert@lambertfam.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: enable/disable softupdates in rc init idea

On Tue, May 14, 2002 at 02:35:51PM -0400, Chris Johnson wrote:

> > > OK. I'm a bit confused. Why do you need to be doing this? Turn on
> > > softupdates on the various file systems when you install the
> > > system. If it's already built, live with a single drop to single-user
> > > mode and turn softupdates on.
> > >=20
> > > The softupdates attribute is non-volatile. Turn it on and it stays on
> > > until it's turned off.
> >    =20
> >     I'm talking about those who don't have console access and their sys=
tem=20
> >     was installed without softupdates on.
>=20
> I just stick the appropriate tunefs lines at the top of /etc/rc, reboot, =
and
> then take the lines out again.

As an alternative, you may want to man rc.early on a 4-STABLE box.

     Rc.early is run very early in the startup process, immediately before =
the
     filesystem check.

I believe this was added for just this type of problem.

I would prefer to create and remove /etc/rc.early rather than take a   =20
chance of buggering /etc/rc.

--=20
lambert@lambertfam.org       http://www.lambertfam.org/~lambert/resume.html
3 years Sr. SysAdmin experience with FreeBSD in small & medium size ISPs.