Date:      08 Feb 2002 19:33:06 -0800
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        "Michael Kobas" <michael238@ozemail.com.au>
Cc:        <doc@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Use of quotation marks in FAQ

"Michael Kobas" <michael238@ozemail.com.au> writes:

> Your FAQ has "quotation marks" which show up as ``quotation marks" on
> Windows and modern Macintosh systems. You should use Unicode
> conventions, or update your fonts. I think you should read
> http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/ucs/quotes.html. It will explain the
> problem, and show you how to fix it.

It's hard to not respond in anger to the hubris reflected by such
comments (above and moreso in the referenced document), especially
when so many users (if not the two authors above -- I don't know) of
"modern" systems refuse to follow existing standards for character
encoding, etc., so that many of us see web pages peppered with question
marks from illegally-encoded characters.  But it's good to have such
things brought to our attention and I hope Michael's comments will be
well considered.

(It also bugs me that the Unicode people have claimed to incorporate
ASCII, but we find out that the character they call "apostrophe" is not
the character they want used for the apostrophe glyph.  But this is at
least a reasonable compromise; maybe even the best of a bad lot.)

But the referenced document does make a good case for not using the
(single or double) grave-apostrophe pair, despite the hubris and snide
remarks and several errors which are not important here.  And the above
quote shows that there is an additional "feature" in many browsers
(including Netscape for Linux on FreeBSD, BTW) which causes two adjacent
apostrophe characters to be displayed as a single double quote.

We could say "get your browswers fixed" or change our quoting to make it
easier for all (?) but some text-browsers to read.  I, for one, have
never liked the use of the (single or double) grave in quoting, even in
ASCII text and prefer reading the more usual quotes like 'this' and
"this".  I suspect that more of our fonts will be changing to use
vertical strokes for the ASCII quotes so that their appearance in text
will only improve with time.  I'd like to see the FDP stop using the
grave character for quoting as it looks wierd in the increasing number
of systems that show the closing quote as vertical marks (and it looks
wierd even in those that don't, IMO).