Date:      Thu, 22 Jun 2000 13:45:52 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.osd.bsdi.com>
Cc:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>, Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG, papowell@astart.com
Subject:   Re: was: Bringing LPRng into FreeBSD?

In message <17253.961705123@localhost>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" writes:
> > > LPRng is distributed under the GNU and Artistic licenses.
> >
> > If Patrick drops the GNU license in favour of a BSD license it should
> > be O.K.
>
> I'll repeat what Nik said above: "LPRng is distributed under the GNU
> and Artistic licenses."  Those are the two you get to choose from and
> that's just the breaks.  Note that one of them is not the GPL.

He said GNU and Artistic licences.
            ^^^
I took that to mean no choice.

Having read the copyright, it is not GPL.  LPRng uses GNU gettext,
which is GPL, for NLS support.  In other words it is distributed under
GNU and Artistic licenses, meaning no choice.  Would that be
problematic (either omitting NLS support or requiring the gettext for
any builds that require NLS support) for anyone?  Otherwise to keep
life simple, it should stay in ports.

Team Leader, Sun/DEC Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
Province of BC