Date:      Thu, 31 Mar 2005 19:29:20 +0000
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@chuckr.org>
To:        Mike Edenfield <kutulu@kutulu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: libmagic

Mike Edenfield wrote:
> Chuck Robey wrote:
>
>> Aaron Siegel wrote:
>

> Good advice, in general, but may not help him here.  The file he's
> looking for *is* part of the base system and *should* be in
> /usr/include.  The real problem he needs to solve is, why isn't this
> file getting installed on his system?  It's present on both my -CURRENT
> and -STABLE systems, where it belongs:
>
> kutulu@basement:/usr/src/lib/libmagic$ ls /usr/include/magic.h
> 4 -r--r--r--  1 root  wheel  2785 Feb  3 11:02 /usr/include/magic.h
>
> The header (part of the file utility, contrib/file) is the interface for
> the libmagic library, again part of the base system:
>
> kutulu@basement:/usr/src/lib/libmagic$ ls /usr/lib/libmagic.so.*
>  52 -r--r--r--  1 root  wheel  52848 Mar  2 22:30 /usr/lib/libmagic.so.1

OK, you talked me into taking a look, and from the logs, looks like the
magic.h installation begin as of November of last year.  Maybe his
system is that old?

> --Mike

Chuck Robey         | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
chuckr@chuckr.org   | electronics, communications, and SF/Fantasy.

New Year's Resolution:  I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
fictitious words in the dictionary (on the wall at my old fraternity,
Signa Phi Nothing).