Date:      Wed, 18 Nov 1998 10:39:48 -0800 (PST)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
To:        chuckr@mat.net (Chuck Robey)
Cc:        ben@rosengart.com, kline@thought.org, nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /etc/rc.d, and changes to /etc/rc?

According to Chuck Robey:
> On Wed, 18 Nov 1998, Snob Art Genre wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 17 Nov 1998, Gary Kline wrote:

	[[ ..... ]]

> It seems to me that what we ought to be asking for are the hooks, so
> those of us that *do* like run-levels *can* have them.  I don't think we
> should force everyone to have such a thing, but wouldn't it be possible
> to have the run levels *without* requiring those that think they are
> evil to have to implement a changed startup?
>
> I'm asking for a system where the legacy rc is there for those who want
> it (and would probably be installed by default) but a system of
> run-levels and rc.d type stuff would be feasible.  Such a thing could
> then even be a port.  I think such an approach would short-circuit most
> of the complaints, and let the idea move forward with coding.

	Whether the new model is a port or an official-part-of-FreeBSD
	makes little difference.  If what Nik proposes it better--if
	enough people stand up and salute--it will eventually become
	official.  --Well, the Berkeley hardcore aside.

	I think there is enough support for a trial.  And since the
	highest wizards will be hacking it, it'll be at least better
	(more solid, bulletproof) than the SYSV code.

	One gentleman mentioned that this (rc vs. rc.d) discussion
	comes up about once a year, is mumbled over, and abandoned.
	Let's not abandon the idea this time around.

	gary

--
   Gary D. Kline         kline@tao.thought.org          Public service uNix