Date:      Mon, 2 Nov 2009 21:49:35 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        PJ <af.gourmet@videotron.ca>
Cc:        Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>, "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: anybody manage to get Xorg to work with LG flat panel W2361

On Mon, 02 Nov 2009 16:21:18 -0400, PJ <af.gourmet@videotron.ca> wrote:
> No.  The only way is by hitting the SysRq/PrintScreen key if the
> "AllowEmptyInput" is not "off", otherwise you have to reboot.

Reboot isn't needed to fix things - that's a misbelief
from "Windows" land. :-) Simply SSH into the box and kill
X.

> Yes, but you are supposed to see the x for the mouse.  Doesn't happen...
> as I mentioned, on one try when doing ctl/alt/del the X appeared and
> then - shutdown.

Strange. Ctrl+Alt+Del isn't supposed to have an effect in
X, if I remember correctly. Ctrl+Alt+Backspace should kill
the X server, but doesn't obviously work when no input is
accepted. There's the "DontZap" setting in xorg.conf.

> I use fluxbox and for some years now, I have never had to put anything
> into .xinitrc except "startfluxbox" of just plain "fluxbox" and it
> always worked.

That's correct. Your ~/.xinitrc should at leas contain
an interpreter command, and then the commands you want to
run, e. g.

	#!/bin/sh
	[ -f ~/.xmodmaprc ] && xmodmap ~/.xmodmaprc
	xsetroot -solid rgb:3b/4c/7a
	exec fluxbox

Note that the fluxbox call is to be preceeded by "exec".

> It seems to me that the options for flatpanel must be activated... bin
> there, done that...

Separate options? For flat panel? I must have slept for many
centuries...

Let's have a look at the log:

> (WW) AllowEmptyInput is on, devices using drivers 'kbd', 'mouse' or
> 'vmmouse' will be disabled.
> (WW) Disabling Mouse0
> (WW) Disabling Keyboard0

Okay, no input for you.

I can't see any further warnings (WW) or errors (EE) in this
log. Seems that X is up and running, and nothing more?

Check .xinitrc and .xsession respectively.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany