Date:      Tue, 28 Sep 2010 01:26:41 +0200
From:      "Ronald Klop" <ronald-freebsd8@klop.yi.org>
To:        "Aryeh Friedman" <aryeh.friedman@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-java@freebsd.org" <freebsd-java@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FF 3.6+ Applets and the right JDK

On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 23:37:22 +0200, Aryeh Friedman
<aryeh.friedman@gmail.com> wrote:

> The reason for upgrading is we also do HTML5 work and even though the
> support is not there fully yet we do need to test against the best
> current support for HTML5.... the reason for bringing up flash was I
> don't own a TV and didn't want to loose that capability for watching
> video (there is not enough OGG/HTML5 videos out there yet to make not
> having flash an option)

Please keep the mailinglist as a recipient. There are people out there who
know more than I do.

Up-to-date HTML5 needs Firefox 3.6+ or Opera 10.60+ (AFAIK).
For applets you can try the openjdk6 port with the new WEB config option,
which works for me in Firefox 3.6, but I have hangs in Opera. This applet
support is quite new. See the archives of this mailinglist of the last few
weeks for more info about that.
I don't have experience with flashplugin on FreeBSD.

But why don't you just try it? You can always go back to firefox 3.5.

Some info about the applet support in openjdk6:
http://www.freshports.org/commit.php?category=java&port=openjdk6&files=yes&message_id=201009160032.o8G0WmIv087354@repoman.freebsd.org

Ronald.