Date:      Tue, 27 Mar 2001 08:03:21 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        steve@Watt.COM (Steve Watt)
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /usr/ports symlink disappears

Steve Watt <steve@Watt.COM> types:
> I like to have my /usr/ports stuff on a different filesystem than /usr,
> but I'd rather not dedicate a whole partition to ports.  What I've been
> doing is ln -s /local/ports /usr, but I just got bitten by that.
> Actually, I got bitten some time ago, during a cvsup.  It appears
> that cvsup doesn't care for having /usr/ports a symlink, and blows it
> away and re-checks out everything.  Which, if one isn't paying attention
> leads to two copies of the ports tree, and a number of other ugly
> side-effects.
>
> Any tips on how to make it stop doing that?  If it weren't for the
> various warnings on mount_null, I'd do that.

As an alternative solution, you might consider setting DISTDIR and
WRKDIRPREFIX in /etc/make.conf. This will leave just the ports in
/usr/ports, putting the stuff that consumes all the space (distfiles &
work directies) elsewhere. Personally, I export /usr/ports r/o to all
my machines, set DISTDIR to a partition that's shared r/w with
everything, and make WRKDIRPREFIX dependent on the machine OS and
make.conf settings. It works quite well - I can build a port on any
machine, the distfiles fetched from any machine are available on all
of them, and I don't wind up screwing up port builds on -current by
building on -stable, etc.

	<mike