Date:      Mon, 01 Mar 1999 01:07:46 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gcc

Warner Losh wrote:
> In message <20655.920182749@zippy.cdrom.com> "Jordan K. Hubbard" writes:
> : > I for one would love to see 2.8.1 or newer in the tree for my own,
> : > selfish reasons.  Many ports (new architectures) would benefit from
> : > this.
> :
> : Is that to say that you prefer it over egcs 1.1.1?  If so, why?
>
> No.  I'd love to see 2.8.1 or newer.  egcs 1.1.1 is newer.  I'd prefer
> egcs, for a variety of reasons...
>
> Warner

A fair bit of work as been done on getting our stuff and egcs 1.1.1 merged
and into shape.  I see egcs 1.1.2 appears to be on the horizon, that won't
be much problem when it arrives as I expect it's pretty close to the 1.1.1
layout.

The main holdups have been getting the native egcs build to do something
more sensible with regards to -aout/-elf, and, if things work out, a bit
better cross-compile support.  (Note, the cross compile stuff doesn't work
too happily with the existing bmake glue and hacks in the code.)  I think
I've got the threaded vs setjump/longjump exception stuff sorted out and
runtime switchable based on -thread etc.

I suspect libg++ is approaching "delete" material.  libstdc++ comes with
egcs, and a hacked up libg++ is floating around that we can probably use,
but I wonder if it's time to loose it and keep just libstdc++.  libg++ on
it's own isn't all that useful, and would probably be better as a port for
the few (if any) things that actually uses it's (non-standard) class
libraries.

Cheers,
-Peter