Date:      Thu, 26 Dec 2013 18:30:07 +0100
From:      Matthias Andree <matthias.andree@gmx.de>
To:        FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Updating CUPS

Jerry <jerry@seibercom=2Enet> schrieb:
>On Wed, 25 Dec 2013 09:14:55 +010=
0, Matthias Andree stated:

>> Jerry <jerry@seibercom=2Enet> schrieb:
>> >=
The ports latest version of CUPS is 1=2E5=2E4; however version 1=2E7=2E0 ha=
>> >been out since 10/24/13=2E Is there any possibility that the latest
>=
> >version will make it into the ports system soon?
>> >
>> Careful with wh=
at you are asking for, have you checked the upstream
>> change logs? 1=2E6 =
already broke some aspects of compatibility
>> massively w=2Er=2Et=2E distr=
ibuted printing or differing CUPS versions in
>> your LAN=2E
>
>Well, almos=
t any updated software has the potential to break something,
>CUPS being no=
 exception=2E However, those cases are not the norm and the
>fact that in a=
 few edge cases problems have been discovered is not a
>sound reason for un=
ilaterally failing to include the new version in the
>posts system=2E There=
 have been numerous cases where a new version of a
>port was introduced int=
o the system=2E In many of those cases workarounds
>were introduced to allo=
w the user to continue with the older version or
>update to the newer one=
=2E I fail to see why that would not be acceptable
>in this instance=2E In =
any case, how do you propose to find problems with
>a new product if it is =
not tested in a real environment? In a worse
>case scenario, a new port, pe=
rhaps "cups-devel" could be created=2E

>--
>Jerry
>
>{Please don't CC me=
=2E I am on the list=2E}

I meant deliberate changes in concepts, not j=
ust happenstances=2E=2E=2E Check what Fedora and other Linux distros have b=
een doing to work around those before you complain=2E

And remember this i=
s a volunteer project, you are not paying to get upgrades within the week=
=2E=2E=2E
From owner-freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG  Thu Dec 26 17:30:56 2013
 h=mime-version:sender:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id
 :subject:to:content-type;
 bh=PKpixecHvY9r7ctq2RLk9+RZ3YRiUDrqGhVYnka8QGk=;
 b=n2MfJblCRMLZc6L7T9BbWJolNPRCwA+8iYZAEtVN9N2JeeaLAWiE85pFv0e8UgCa5j
 iPPPHFVr919xbazLYBqX6FnkX4Di0jaDMK5XcjjK/uMU1odiiLeBEBo1d4T0QdMpEy0+
 jyRLvCO5FOguVsjRyr9wfw+FXVvtK8yRjlIgxjLl4T5SjDwS6xvUTOy+7mS8vVjAOD0E
 i0U+/oZbVJStryCqdcWS1IPMJ6LO1hd+h0tg19xsC+hxEoGXXHM4wkjUjCorO4cbz+07
 kzAti+LbC795GgUaDq+NPOWfVtnnMrbTZOKP1OtIeGSG5vR++4hhjmcsOenftYptiTvS
 oqhw==
Sender: royce.williams@gmail.com
From: Royce Williams <royce@tycho.org>
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2013 08:30:33 -0900
Subject: Re: WITHOUT_NLS is deprecated use NLS option instead

On Thu, Dec 26, 2013 at 7:46 AM, Michael Gmelin <freebsd@grem.de> wrote:

> Adding a (shortened, so easy to type) URL pointing to the wiki or
> whatever resource describing why this happened could be useful (not just
> for this, but for all of these deprecation warnings, so users
> understand the rationale behind them).

Yes!  +10 (not a typo). Please cache more breadcrumbs so that others
can use them.

For example, I'm getting this now:

pkg: PACKAGESITE in pkg.conf is deprecated. Please create a repository
configuration file

... but as you can see in this thread, people have been looking for
breadcrumbs and having trouble finding anything useful:

https://forums.freebsd.org/viewtopic.php?t=43506

... especially when this message appears even if PACKAGESITE doesn't
actually appear in pkg.conf.

Royce