Date:      Thu, 06 Feb 2003 10:41:24 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        "John L. Utz III" <john@utzweb.net>
Cc:        Brent Verner <brent@rcfile.org>, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, rwatson@freesbsd.org, calvin.austin@sun.com, brian@collab.net, bod@freebsdfoundation.org, (Hui) <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>
Subject:   Re: patchset 2 report (billh's resignation)

Folks,

There have, not surprisingly, been quite a few follow-ups to this
thread.  In this mail I would like to answer the main questions and
issues that have been raised by various people.

I'll start with the easiest one.  Some of you have taken me to task
for putting private e-mails on the web page.  The fact is that
Bill's public attack on me stems from those e-mails.  They contain
the history of this issue.  In transforming a simple, everyday
hiring decision into a public attack on the FreeBSD Foundation and
on me personally, Bill threw the rules of etiquette out the window.
If Bill wants this to be public then it is _all_ going to be public.
Some will disagree with this, but I can live with that.  The e-mails
will stay on the web page until I no longer feel the need to defend
my actions in public.

One person criticized the title I put on the web page.  His point is
well taken.  The whole day yesterday was so utterly surreal that I
guess I needed a small dose of comic relief.  That was inappropriate,
and I have changed the title to "Mail".

Among several of you there seems to be some confusion about the
obligations of a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization such as the
FreeBSD Foundation with regard to contracting.  A 501(c)(3) is not a
branch of the US government; it is simply a corporation which, under
the rules laid down by the IRS, has qualified as a tax-exempt
charitable organization.  While departments of the US government
have many hiring regulations involving public bidding processes,
civil service points, minority preferences, incentives of various
kinds, etc., those rules have nothing to do with 501(c)(3)
non-profit organizations.  Furthermore, it is not standard practice
among 501(c)(3)s to put out public bids for contracts.  At the
Foundation we hire pretty much the same way any other tiny
corporation hires, and that is the standard practice among
non-profits.

Now I will go over the history of this particular hiring decision.
As most of you know, the Foundation finalized a license agreement in
December, 2001 with Sun Microsystems to allow us to distribute a
FreeBSD version of the JDK and JRE.  As part of that agreement, Sun
requires that the distribution pass the full suite of tests in their
Technology Compliance Kit (TCK).  That sounds simple, but in fact it
is a very difficult process and I am told that it typically takes a
year or more to complete it.

Now fast-forward about a year, to some time around the end of 2002.
We at the Foundation were feeling a bit embarrassed.  We had
announced the license agreement with great fanfare a year before,
and it naturally raised expectations that a release of the software
was imminent.  I can lay claim to some blame for that, as I myself
thought that the software would be released very quickly.  I did not
understand at that time what a challenge the TCK was.

So, some time in the final months of 2002 I asked the other Foundation
board members if perhaps we could help move things along by funding
somebody to work on getting the JDK and JRE to a point where it could
be released.  They agreed that it would be a good use of Foundation
funds, and so we started working on it.

Throughout the process of getting the license with Sun, we had had
two contacts within the FreeBSD Java team: Greg and Nate.  We had
(and still have) a good relationship with both of them.  We asked
one or both of them (I don't remember for sure, and I doesn't seem
worth digging through the mail archives to find out) whether it
might help progress if we funneled some funding into the effort.
The reply was affirmative, and we asked for recommendations.  Both
Greg and Nate agreed that Alexey would be a good person for the job.
(This turned out to be a valuable recommendation, and we couldn't be
more pleased with his work.)  We initiated discussions with Alexey,
worked out the contractual details, etc., and he went to work on it
full time.  Since then he has made great progress, and he has kept
us up-to-date with status reports.

That was the state of things at the beginning of this week.  Now let
me make something perfectly clear.  When we asked for recommendations,
Bill Huey's name never came up.  He wasn't mentioned.  As far as I
know, I had never even heard his name before -- certainly not in any
context that would cause me to remember it.

Then, out of the blue, we received his first e-mail on Tuesday.  It
was absolutely baffling to all of us at the Foundation.  Here was
this profanity-laden flame from a perfect stranger, demanding an
explanation for the fact that we hadn't hired him!

The rest of the history is documented in the e-mails, which most of
you have already seen.  To re-iterate: msg01.txt was the first I had
ever heard of Bill Huey.  How would you feel in my position?
Frankly, my first reaction was, "Thank GOD we didn't hire that guy!"

Some of you have criticized the terseness of my replies to Bill.  I
hope this context will help you to understand it a little better.
My very first contact with the fellow came in the form of a flame
from him.  This was followed 18 hours later by a second mail which
contained an explicit threat.  I don't think anybody knows for sure
how to deal with a person who's in that state of mind.  It seemed to
me that the least harmful approach would be to avoid escalating the
situation.  So I sent him the briefest, most emotion-free reply I
could manage, and in the subsequent mail I tried to keep things
strictly on a professional level.  We could talk all day long about
whether that was the right approach or not.  I did my best, and I am
proud of the fact that I didn't let Bill drag me down to his level
of discourse.

On to a related topic ... Some people, Bill included, took offense at
my statement, "Bill, there are easily a hundred people who could have
done this work, but we could only hire one of them."  This was in no
way intended to be disparaging toward any Java developer; nor was it
meant as any kind of insult.  I am sorry that some people took it that
way, and I'll try to learn how to express myself better in the future.
The point I was trying to make was simply that if we hired one person,
there were going to be a whole bunch of other qualified people that we
_didn't_ hire.  Bill was one of those.  For whatever reason, he's
the only one who took it as a personal affront.

I actually am fairly confident that there are a hundred people in
the world who could do the job.  I mean -- come on, people!  In the
whole world?  Of course there are!  But honestly, the number doesn't
matter for the point I was trying to make unless you think the
number is 1 -- in which case you'll get nothing but a hearty belly
laugh from me.

I have just one other thing I'd like to say as I end this lengthy
e-mail.  We at the FreeBSD Foundation are volunteers who are simply
trying to do something for the benefit of the FreeBSD Project.  We
don't get paid.  In fact, we donate money as well as time to the
Foundation.  It is a rewarding job, at times, but frankly it isn't
much fun.  The Internet is a big place, and there is always somebody
out there who can manage to view just about anything as a
conspiracy.  There is really nothing I can do about such people.  I
just try to keep my cool and do my best, knowing full well that I
can't please everybody.

Well, that's about it.  I think I have said just about everything I
can say on this topic.  I am most likely not going to write any more
about it.  I just don't see the point of writing if there's nothing
new to say.  As I said at the very beginning: draw your own
conclusions.

John