Date:      Thu, 5 Nov 1998 14:27:17 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Branding project names

On Thu, 5 Nov 1998, Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai wrote:

>That Open Source and in a way an open project such as FreeBSD and then
>labeling software with terms such as 'Designed for FreeBSD' might tend to
>Microsoft like practices... Just in my opinion offcourse...
>
>I think that terms that focus on the openess of FreeBSD and it's associated
>packages might be a better idea...

You are a bit late to the table. Nothing in this discussion compromises
FreeBSD's commitment to openness.

This idea is to help users now what works with FreeBSD and to help vendors
be recognized as providing software or hardware that is useful with
FreeBSD.

If all goes well, people will eventually look for a little daemon on a box
or a website and immmediately recognize that they can use this product on
their FreeBSD box.

It might be to Kirk McKusick's chagrin, maybe people will come to know and
love "Chuck."

Catchya Later,		|	UW Mechanical Engineering
Jason Wells		|	http://weber.u.washington.edu/~jcwells/