Date:      Sun, 17 Jan 1999 09:51:12 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brian Feldman <green@unixhelp.org>
To:        Igor Shulgin <igorsh@garural.chel.su>
Cc:        FreeBSD-current <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Running old program on 3.0-RELEASE

On Sun, 17 Jan 1999, Igor Shulgin wrote:

> I recently installed 3.0-RELEASE on existing 2.1.0-RELEASE.
> After that one program does not run any more.
> That program is being invoked by Apache daemon (now I use Apache 1.2.6 from
> 3.0-RELEASE/packages) and is needed for access to some special part of our
> WWW-server. After attempt of invocation this program accordingly to user's
> action next message appears in /var/log/httpd-error.log :
> "ld.so failed: Can't find shared library "libg++.so.3.0""
> User is seeing message "500 Internal Server Error" on his screen.
> I have no influence on author of program mentioned above to prompt him to
> recompile his program on 3.0-RELEASE. As I know this program successful works
> on pack of 2.1.x and 2.2.x systems.
>
> I run "ldconfig -r" and not found "libg++.so.3.0" in list.
> File /usr/lib/libg++.so.3.0 exist but have old date "Nov 16 1995" because
> this file remained from old version. There is new file
> /usr/lib/compat/libg++.so.3.0 with date "Oct 16 1997". There is line
> ldconfig_paths="/usr/lib/compat /usr/X11R6/lib /usr/local/lib"
> in file /etc/rc.conf and I see messages at rebooting about successful running
> ldconfig on these directories.
> Output of "ldconfig -r" has 1st and 2nd line:
> "/var/run/ld-elf.so.hints
> searching directories: /usr/lib:/usr/lib/compat:/usr/local/lib "
> But there are not files from /usr/lib/compat in list.
>
> Is something incorrectly installed in my system?
> Should I remove all files from /usr/lib with date "16 Nov 1995" and earlier?
> Must I remove directory /usr/lib before any installation newer version above
> older?
>
> Thanks in advance.

All old /usr/lib files need to be moved to /usr/lib/compat or /usr/lib/aout.
/usr/lib/compat is the better place because it contains OLD, not current, libs.
Hint: do NOT save the archives "libfoo.a", they're for building new static
executables, and you don't want to replace your much more current ars. Did you
even try installing "compat21 compat22 compat1x" etc?

> --- With good wishes,
>                       Igor Shulgin

 Brian Feldman					  _ __  ___ ___ ___
 green@unixhelp.org			      _ __ ___ | _ ) __|   \