Date:      Mon, 06 Dec 2004 16:58:58 +0200
From:      Toomas Aas <toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee>
To:        Olaf Greve <o.greve@axis.nl>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: php4-cli or mod_php4

Olaf Greve wrote:

> It seems that as of fBSD 5.3, the version that is installed when using
> sysinstall has a lot less compile options enabled than it used to do
> previously, one of which being the MySQL support. Here's what I did to
> solve the issue:
> 1) Install Apache 1.3, PHP4 (MOD + CLI), PHP4 extensions.
> 2) Make sure this combination can successfully execute a simple 'hello
> world' example.
> 3) Figure out PHP's compilation options (this can be done e.g. using
> PHPinfo).

... etc.

Well, that's certainly one way, but it's not The Way ;-)

Correct solution would be to install mod_php4 first and then install all
the necessary extensions via separate ports. For instance, to get MySQL
support in PHP you would install /usr/ports/databases/php4-mysql.

This way of installing extensions via ports was introduced when PHP
4.3.8 came out (and was mentioned in /usr/ports/UPDATING).