Date:      Thu, 29 Aug 2002 08:02:23 -0700
From:      Seth Kurtzberg <seth@cql.com>
To:        "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com>, "Karsten W. Rohrbach" <karsten@rohrbach.de>
Cc:        mipam@ibb.net, Matthias Buelow <mkb@mukappabeta.de>, Stefan =?iso-8859-1?q?Kr=FCger?= <skrueger@europe.com>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.org, tech-security@netbsd.org, misc@openbsd.org
Subject:   Re: 1024 bit key considered insecure (sshd)

The other piece of the crypto puzzle that is frequently misunderstood (not
flames! I'm not saying misunderstood by anyone participating in this
discussion!) is that data is typically sensitive for a limited period of
time.  The fact that you could crack a password in a year becomes quite
irrelevant if the protected data is no longer sensitive after a month.
Intelligently archiving older data that doesn't need to remain on-line helps
this situation.